Monthly Gathering with
coffee & conversation
Member of ...
Site design by...
10 Tips for Hiring a Computer Consultant
Computer Consultants Association (ICCA), a national not-for-profit
organization which promotes ethical professionalism within the
industry, offers these 10 tips for choosing a consultant:
You can not judge a book by it's cover or the story by the summary page, but
are you sure your audience is going to read further then that anyway? Knowing
who you are presenting information for is just as important as knowing what to
show and what to provide reference to further information on.
- Combined creative and technical background assists in answering critical
questions to ensure your intended message gets across.
- The experience to know if the reports you need to see are able to be
generated within your current systems. If the answer is no data to support
your needs, we at RMMi can help discover what has to be done to make it so.
- ad hoc reporting can be tedious if your staff use a system and your dba
runs backups but no one seems to know how to link your customer files to
production files, at RMMi we can solve that issue for you.
For effective reports do you have to follow the rule that the average reader
has the equivalent of an eighth grade comprehension level or do the only readers
of your work all have at least one Ph.D. on their office wall? Words graphics
handouts electronic links or included multimedia are all tools to deliver a
message, what will work and what is overkill? Do you even know if you have the
correct data being collected this year to answer the expected questions of
management? Did you change your system and somehow have to integrate legacy data
to current production numbers? RMMi can help with all of this, the creative
aspect through the technical aspect of Business Intelligence Reporting.
- Ad hoc corporate reports
- Sometimes the existing system reports just do not cut the numbers.
- Create end user report applications
- When users need the same reports over a consistent time period, this is
an opportunity to save time by developing small report applications to get
at your company data wherever it may reside to be run on demand.
- Data dictionary and type specification
- Reporting is almost impossible if you do not know what you have and
where to find it. A good dictionary is useful for future reports, deciding
how to clean data, database administration tasks, and repeatable reports for
audit purposes in the future.
- Legacy data normalization
- Sometimes data is too flat, sometimes too normalized. Cleaning
data for report purposes is very important to reflect accurate numbers that
make sense. A production system is not created to report from.
- Data integration
- Separate business systems were not built to work together yet you need
numbers from all the systems combined into one report... what do you do?
RMMi can assist in a solution to suit your needs.
- Data transformation
- Is your legacy system still out there and you want to populate a new
system with historical numbers? Are you consolidating department databases
built by the users to one centralized N-tier system? DTS services are
something RMMi can do for you.
- Data temporary storage
- Some report needs necessitate that you compile data from other systems,
aggregate the information into usable blocks for this months numbers before
you store your final report data file into archive status. A process can be
assembled for this purpose.
- Data warehouse
- Isolating your production data and your report data sure is nice when
you can then lock down security on production and custom fit your security
needs of your data to fit user needs. A warehouse can be a good solution and
reduces the scary reality of a misinformed user deleting production data.
To figure something out from context. <<::>>
Value added marketing
because options are always good and second opinions count. Any
questions about the use of Google Adsense
and or other methods of getting revenue in or value adds out.
Feel free to send